’Tis the season! Now that we’re officially well into the holidays, we all know it can be difficult to stay on track with our wellness goals. From taking time off from work, to enjoying lots of delicious meals and drinks with friends and family, it can seem easier to just put off healthy habits until the new year. However, we have put together some easy tips that will help you stay on track during this holiday season.
- Eat smart – Most of our holiday get-togethers happen in the evening, and we would sometimes rather not eat much during the day to make sure we can fully enjoy our upcoming meal. Your stomach is a muscle, and when you do this, you’re actually stretching your stomach to accommodate even more food than before. The best way is to eat small meals throughout the day and not overeat when you arrive at your dinner party. We promise you’ll still be able to enjoy everything!
- Stay active – Between traveling, work, and spending time with family and friends, it can seem almost impossible to make it to the gym. What’s the solution? Incorporate easy activities into your day to get yourself moving. For example, grab a family member and go on a morning jog, or take a walk around your neighborhood park together.
- Clean travels – If your family lives far away, chances are you will be boarding a plane this holiday season. Planes are hotspots for cold and flu viruses, and these germs can stay alive for up to 12 to 24 hours. Make sure to bring your own alcohol-based hand sanitizer and make sure to clean your hands before, during and after the trip. It’s also a good idea to stay hydrated throughout the flight to combat that dry cabin air.
- Relax – It might seem obvious, but making sure you’ll well-rested is one of the best defenses against all these nasty winter viruses! Having a nonstop social calendar can be taxing on your body, and stress and lack of sleep can lower your defenses. Make sure you’re taking it easy and getting at least seven hours of sleep every night.
- Game on – Instead of focusing on food-related events like a festive dinner or night of baking, invite your friends and family over for a holiday game night. Set up a spread of snacks including a mix of healthy bites and indulgent treats, and you can even get creative with holiday twists on classic games like charades or Pictionary!
At Loma Clara Senior Living, our goal is to make sure our residents aren’t just healthy during the holidays – our commitment is year-round. Our Elevate dining program allows our residents to choose from a variety of healthy, flavorful meals and snacks that can cater to their unique dietary requirements or restrictions. Want to learn more about the Elevate dining and Vibrant Life programs and the other services offered at our community? Visit our website, or give us a call at 833-581-8885.