It seems that every week there is a new diet trend experts are urging us to follow, and with so many options, it’s hard to know what the right way to eat is. We believe there is no one correct approach to nutrition and that everyone’s journey is different, but since March is National Nutrition Month, we’ve compiled our favorite healthy eating tips that will help you make small but significant changes in your lifestyle.
- Forget strict diets – A main reason we give up on eating healthy is that we choose to adopt a rigid, boring diet that we get sick of right away. Instead of doing this, focus on eating more healthy foods that you actually enjoy, and mix them into your weekly grocery run.
- Eat more fish – Seafood is a great way to add proteins, minerals and vitamins into your diet in an easy way, so it’s important to try to eat fish at least once a week. Oily fish in particular help prevent heart disease, so pick up some salmon, mackerel, trout or tuna!
- Cut saturated fats – We’re all familiar with the term “saturated fats,” but do you know where they are found? Try to eat less of foods like cakes, hard cheese and cream, and when choosing cuts of meat, opt for the leaner cuts and slice off any visible fat. Saturated fats increase your risk of heart disease, so it’s important to avoid them as much as you can.
- Don’t skip breakfast – Some people think not eating breakfast will lead to losing weight, but skipping this meal only makes you hungrier later in the day. Research shows that people who eat breakfast regularly are less likely to be overweight, so use this meal as an opportunity to get your daily serving of fruits!
- Don’t go hungry – You might be tempted to think that, by having fewer meals a day, you’ll lose more weight; but this isn’t necessarily true. Going hungry for long stretches of time just causes you to overeat when you finally make it to your next meal. Instead, plan for those moments of hunger by having healthy snacks around, like almonds, granola bars or apples.
At each and every one of our Integral Senior Living communities, we are dedicated to making sure our residents are making healthy choices every day. Our Elevate dining program allows our residents to enjoy tasty, nutritious meals. Visit our Facebook page or website to learn more about all of ISL’s signature programs.