With the turn of the New Year, it seems as if everyone is talking about New Year’s resolutions. Every year we decide to make an effort to better ourselves, but a few months later we seem to lose motivation and it becomes harder to stick to our goals.
So how do we make sure we have a better chance at accomplishing our resolutions this year? We’ve put together a list of tips to make our health and wellness goals a little easier in 2019.
- Start small – bigger goals can seem more appealing, but sometimes these are harder to stick to. An easy tip is to break up your bigger goals into smaller goals so you can stay focused on accomplishing them little by little. For example, instead of saying you want to lose 20 pounds, start with setting a smaller goal of losing 5 pounds by the end of February.
- Healthy eating – if you’re one of the many whose goal is to start eating cleaner, make it your mission to add one healthy item to each meal! Swap out dessert for fruit or water instead of soda. A few small changes can really make a difference over time!
- Have a resolution partner – it becomes easier, and more fun, to have someone to talk to about where you are with your goals. Check in with each other weekly or monthly, whatever makes the most sense to you, and help keep each other on track!
- Reward yourself – if your goal was to exercise three times a week and you did it for a full month, be sure to celebrate it! Don’t wait until the end of the year to do this; check in with yourself every month or so to reward yourself for a job well-done.
- Be easy on yourself – it’s OK to mess up! The important thing is to get yourself back on track as soon as you realize it and stay motivated to accomplish all your goals. Making a mistake at breakfast does not mean the whole day is a disaster.
Sticking to your resolutions in 2019 can seem intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. All across our communities, we have care associates ready to help you accomplish your health and wellness needs at any point during the year.
With our Elevate dining program, we make sure every meal is as delicious as it is nutritious, and our Vibrant Life activities have exercise programs perfect for every level of fitness. Want to know more? Visit our Facebook page or website to get a glimpse into the daily lives of our residents as well as the Elevate dining and Vibrant Life programs.