October is the beginning of the much-dreaded flu season. At Integral Senior Living, we want to make sure our residents and their families are living their healthiest lives, which is why we are sharing a few tips and tricks on flu prevention.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, between 9.2 million and 35.6 million cases of flu arise each year in the United States.
The flu is a highly contagious respiratory illness that is caused by influenza types A and B viruses. Flu activity often begins in October and can last until as late as May. It is important to take preventive steps to minimize your exposure, build up your immunity and reduce your risk of infection.
See the list below for our top five tips for staying clear of the flu!
- Get a flu shot – While seasonal flu shots do not protect against all strains of the virus, the vaccine does trigger antibodies to develop in the body which then provide protection against that specific virus strain.
- Stay home when you are sick – If you are feeling under the weather, is it better to stay home and regain your strength. The bacteria and viruses that can be found at your office, school, etc. can actually worsen your symptoms.
- Cover your mouth and nose – Find yourself coughing and sneezing constantly? Use a tissue or the corner of your elbow to cover your nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing. This will not only prevent those around you from getting sick, but also help by keeping your hands clean.
- Wash your hands regularly – Use soap and warm water when available. An alcohol-based hand sanitizer will also do the job.
- Maintain your immune system – Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, try to get between seven and nine hours of sleep, and exercise regularly.
Want to know more about our communities and our outstanding level of care? Visit our Facebook page to get a glimpse into the daily lives of our residents, then visit our Communities page to find the community closest to you.
We look forward to meeting you and helping everyone live a healthy life!